At one time, kitchen appliances were considered primarily functional. They brought a new level of convenience to households, but style-wise, most designs were pretty limited.
Today's appliances have become equal parts, time savers, and decor statements. Keep your kitchen looking modern with these tips from our brokers for upgrading appliances.
Whether you're the owner or buyer of Portland homes for sale, we provide friendly and experienced assistance. Contact us at Coldwell Banker Bain for more information.
It's that time of year again -- the time when everyone starts to think about changing their habits and getting healthier in the New Year. Luckily, there are plenty of great local restaurants that serve healthy fare. Having a go-to list will help make the transition so much easier!
We recently asked our brokers for recommendations. Here are a few of their favorites.
Is a new home on your 2021 wish list? If so, we can help! We've got lots of great listings available, so don't delay. Contact us today to get started.
When most people think of American history, the East Coast gets most of the spotlight. But that's not the only area in the country where you can see beautiful historic buildings. Our brokers love The City of Roses, not only because it has a culture blooming with innovation, but that its rich history is so well preserved and celebrated. Walking around some areas of Portland provides an exceptional glimpse into the past, especially when strolling through the historic district of Irvington.
Irvington only recently received placement on the National Register of Historic Places in 2010. This sprawling area includes over 2,800 structures in Portland's largest historic district. A massive wave of new construction occurred just after the 1905 Louis and Clark Centennial Exposition. More than half of all structures built between the turn of the century and 1970 have wooden exteriors made from local timber. The rate of growth increased as the decades passed: 14 percent of Irvington was completed in the first decade, 25 percent during the 1910s, and 40 percent during the '20s.
Although nearly 3,000 buildings were constructed, only 2 percent of them are used for public or commercial use, such as churches and schools. The remaining 98 percent are all homes. Most of these homes have federally protected characteristics, ensuring that the district's charm is not sacrificed for a more modern aesthetic. This includes the protection of structures from unnecessary demolition and development. Plus, there's a prioritization of environmental-friendly practices within historic districts. Many of these buildings are "green" even in their maintenance, and mature trees have a smaller chance of being removed due to construction needs.
What to do in Irvington
Whether you're a local or just visiting, a stop in Irvington is always a great way to spend the day in Portland. Here are a few of our favorite places in and around the Irvington historic district:
So Much More History to Explore in Portland
Irving is far from the only historic district in Portland. In fact, there are nearly two dozen other locations deemed historic districts, including:
Portland is also home to six conservation districts: Eliot, Kenton, Mississippi Avenue, Piedmont, Russel Street, and Woodlawn. With so much diverse history throughout Portland, you can spend years uncovering fascinating places, interesting figures from the past, and impressive landmarks that once helped mold this city into an icon of the Pacific Northwest.
Would you love to call Portland home? Then we would love to help you! Contact us today to schedule tours of our Portland homes for sale throughout Irvington and other historic districts.